Monday, November 20, 2006

The war machine

"Don't forget the real business of the War is buying and selling. The murdering and the violence are self-policing , and can be entrusted to non-professionals. The mass nature of wartime death is useful in many ways. It serves as spectacle, as diversion from the real movements of the War. It provides raw material to be recorded into History, so that children may be taught History as sequences of violence, battle after battle, and be more prepared for the adult world. Best of all, mass death's a stimulus to just ordinary folks, little fellows, to try 'n' grab a piece of that Pie while they're still here to gobble it up. The true war is a celebration of markets. Organic markets, carefully styled "black" by the professionals, spring up everywhere. Scrip, Sterling, Reichsmarks continue to move, severe as classical ballet, inside their antiseptic marble chambers. But out here, down here among the people, the truer currencies come into being."

-- from Gravity's Rainbow

2 comments:

Simon Crowe said...

Did I see you in the Open Book today? I would have come and said hi except I was in the middle of a management-type thing. Then when I made it up to the register I noticed we sold the new Pynchon, so I figured it was you.

Jason Comerford said...

That was me indeed... mwah-hah-hah, I was the first!