Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sniffing out the good stuff

(Via GalleyCat.) This sounds awfully familiar...
Q: What are the best places you've found for your book scouting?

A: The best place to scout for books is where the good books are. In general, I divide my time between estate sales, thrift stores and library sales. I prefer going to smaller yard and garage sales on weekends, since its more low-key and there's still a chance of finding something of value somebody wants to get rid of. I know others who go to antique stores, looking on the shelves for rare items that fall through the cracks.

When I started doing this in the late '80s and early '90s, the only competition were these older, eccentric, antisocial types who wouldn't even look at you let alone talk to you. You had a sense they'd been doing this for a long time, and they knew what they were looking for. You don't see them as much anymore. With the advent of the Internet, everything has changed.

No comments: