Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Others talk, writers do

I love the interviews old writers give: I'm 72, millions of copies of my books are print, and I no longer give a shit. If I ever did.
Asked if he was passionate about writing, he said: "I like what I do."

"Some writers have said in print that they hated writing, it was just a chore and a burden. I certainly don't feel that way about it. Sometimes it's difficult but you always have this image of the perfect thing which you can never achieve but which you never stop trying to achieve," McCarthy said.

"That's your signpost and your guide," he added. "You can't plot things out. You just have to trust in, you know, wherever it comes from."

...McCarthy told Winfrey he had never done a TV interview, or many interviews generally.

"I don't think it's good for your head," he said. "You spend a lot of time thinking about how to write a book, you probably shouldn't be talking about it. You probably should be doing it."

No comments: