Thursday, October 23, 2008

My byline is

...“I do ride my bike, I don’t have a dog, I don’t mow my lawn,” Eminem, 36, admitted in a phone interview from a Detroit studio on Monday night. But otherwise he’s been living the life of a suburban father, taking care of three girls: Hailie, his daughter with Kim; Alaina, his niece; and Whitney, Kim’s daughter from another relationship.

And now Eminem, born Marshall Mathers, is tentatively re-entering public life with his book, published by Dutton this week. Part autobiography, part photo gallery, part ephemera collection, it’s a handsome midcareer (and midlife) roundup for an artist who has been notoriously reluctant to discuss his personal life anyplace but in his music.

...Originally intended to be “a scrapbook for my fans,” Eminem said, the book grew to include large chunks of first-person narratives culled from interviews with the journalist Sacha Jenkins, and presented in a conversational style. “Rap is one big Fantasy Island,” Eminem writes. “It’s the place I always retreat to when things get too hectic in real time.”

No comments: