Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Back to the kitchen with you

If you've written a completely uninformed piece about Amazon's Kindle device, just blame the wife, right? Otherwise, what's the point of filing the story to begin with?
The Kindle gets many things right, or at least I assume it does. I haven’t had much of a chance to test out my demonstration unit. My wife, skeptical that a digital screen could ever approach the readability of ink on paper, was so intrigued by the Kindle when it arrived last week that she snatched it from my grasp. I haven’t been able to pry it away from her since.

I can see that the text looks splendid. But when one presses a bar to “turn” a page, the image reverses in a way I found jarring: the light background turns black and the black text turns white, then the new page appears and everything returns to normal. My wife said she wasn’t bothered by this at all, and I didn’t have enough of a chance to see if I would soon get used to it.
This is the top paper in the country, folks...

No comments: